Saturday, March 8, 2014

Auntie Yosh

Today I'd like to share with you some personal items and artwork passed down to me by my late Great Aunt Yosh (Yoshiko Fukushima).

Great Auntie Yosh & Uncle Harry's wedding, Jan 21, 1941.
My aunt grew up in a family of all girls.  She was married to my Uncle Harry (Isami) in 1941 and went to live with him, his father and his 4 brothers at their home in Vancouver, BC.  Being the only woman of the house she was kept quite busy with household chores and taking care of the family.  

Fukushima family home in Vancouver.
Following the attack on Pearl Harbour of WWII, all Japanese Canadian families were evacuated from their homes to remote internment camps.  The government feared threats of war related sabotage and espionage.  My family was placed in Slocan, BC.  There, my father was born in 1945.  Following the war, Japanese Canadians were given the option of deportation or relocation within Canada.  Thus, my family was relocated to Fort William, Ontario (now Thunder Bay) where they still live today.  Auntie Yosh and Uncle Harry along with brothers Ross and Tosh moved eastward to Toronto where they settled and raised their families.

My Auntie Yosh worked as a seamstress at Simpson's (now The Bay) downtown Toronto.  She also made wedding gowns and formal wear for many friends and family members including her own wedding gown shown at the beginning of this post.  She volunteered for many years at the Japanese Canadian Cultural Centre (JCCC) as a sumi-e (Japanese ink wash painting) and ikebana (Japanese art of flower arrangement) instructor.  Here are some treasures that were passed on to me.

Vintage boxes from The Room.
Pot of Gold, Birks and Simpsons
Her sewing stash came packaged in a variety of vintage boxes and bags.


Vintage satin and brocade fabrics.
Various vintage threads on wooden spools.
Japanese articles including wooden crochet hooks and one very curious personal care implement.
One of my favourite articles . . .
"Toilet Pins" 
Various vintage sewing machine needles, clippers, snaps and hook & eyes.
Notions and vintage cotton lace from bridal wear projects.
Traditional Japanese brush painting.


1 comment:

  1. so stunningly fantastic! I'm teary-eyed with joy! <3 What a beautiful memory and keepsake.

    ReplyDelete